Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Through Clenched Teeth

My mother is making me apologize
for pulling your hair on the playground today.
I was just playing, and I didn’t mean to hurt you.
Don’t tell your mom on me.
I am sorry.

My mother told me to apologize
for being so late today.
We had a conflict with time
and traffic didn’t really cooperate.
Don’t hold it against me.
I am sorry.

My mother taught me to apologize
even when I don't want to.
But Boss, I had the best intentions of doing my task.
There has been a mistake.
Don’t let me go because of this.
I am sorry.

My mother hoped I would apologize
if I ever got into this sort of trouble.
But really, I am not sure the wreck is my fault.
Accidents happen.
Don’t call your lawyer.
I am sorry.

My mother wished I would apologize
to all the people I have hurt through the years.
I have already said the magic words.
I shouldn’t have to say it twice.
So she doesn’t ask me again,
I am sorry.

No comments: